Warm Quinoa Asian Salad/Wraps


I used to blog about every meal/creation that I would prepare, but I have been failing to do so. I always take photos thinking that I will "get to it later". Well, that hasn't worked. I just finished eating this mini meal (a meal in between my lunch and dinner), so I figured I better get to it right away.

I apologize, but just about every measurement listed below is an approximate. But, hey, that's what cooking is all about right? - making adjustments to suit your own taste buds (well, if you are comfortable with cooking anyway).

===============================

FINALLY, I have added this one "grain" back to my diet. It's
quinoa  (pronounced keen-wah) and Wikipedia describes it as an edible seed that's not a member of a true grass "cereal" family. All I know is that, so far, it's not causing any symptoms of brain fog and my digestive system is handling it just fine. It's not a sticky grain like rice. It's gluten free. It stays separated when cooked. It's also a nice grain that can be soaked, sprouted and eaten raw.





Today I wanted to eat quinoa and I wanted to make some wraps. Because, just a few days ago, I ate lettuce wraps at Ruggles Green in River Oaks and they were so yummy and filling that I decided that I would make a recipe of my own. I didn't try to make the exact recipe...although I will definitely do so in the future. My taste buds had a mind of their own today.

Ingredients:
  • SaladDressing/Sauce (1 to 2 servings):

  • 1 cup vegetable broth

  • 1 thin slice of onion (about 1/8 cup)

  • 1/2 inch knob fresh ginger

  • 1 to 1/2 tsp fresh garlic

  • green onion tops from 1 green onion

  • 2 TBS fresh cilantro

  • 1/4 cup cashews, soaked and rinsed is best

  • juice of 1 lime wedge and/or 1 tsp apple cider vinegar

  • dash of cayenne pepper

  • salt/pepper to taste

  • Salad/Wraps

  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup cooked quinoa

  • lettuce for salad or wraps

  • Other possible Add-ins:•nori seaweed, dulse, kelp

  • daikon root, Reishi (mushroom), cucumber, cabbage, bell peppers - ALL candida friendly

  • carrots, other mushrooms, chestnuts - NOT Candida friendly

  • Kim-chi (naturally fermented of course)

Instructions

  1. Add vegetable broth, onion, ginger and garlic to a small saucepan - bring to a boil, then simmer 2 - 3 minutes.

  2. Add broth mixture and remaining dressing/sauce ingredients to a blender or Vitamix. (To prevent it from becoming a green sauce, add the green veggies last and don't mix fully.)

  3. Assemble salad and place quinoa on top or scoop quinoa plus other ingredients into a large lettuce leaf and cover with the warm sauce.
Notes:

This recipe is totally safe for anyone on the Candida “Free” Diet. But, if not following the diet you might use rice vinegar instead and/or add “wheat” free Tamari sauce to your recipe. There are so many possibilities to increase the “Asian” flair of this recipe.